HIJRI

DISCLAIMER : BEYOND THE ABOVE,WE, THE OPERATORS OF THIS BLOG, MAKE THIS ABSOLUTELY CLEAR,WE ARE NOT AFFILIATED IN ANY WAY WITH ANY ORGANIZATION OR GROUP,NOT EVEN WITH ANY OF THE SO-CALLED MAINSTREAM GROUPS. ALL WE WANT IS ALLAH'S RULE TO BE UPHELD ON HUMANITY.

Friday, January 27, 2012

Understanding The Prohibition of Riba/Usury in The Noble Qur'an

O you who believe! Be afraid of God and give up what
remains (due to you) from Ribâ (usury) (from now onward), if you are
(really) believers.
[Qur'an,2.278]

And if you do not do it, then take a notice of war from God
and His Messenger but if you repent, you shall have your capital
sums. Deal not unjustly (by asking more than your capital sums), and
you shall not be dealt with unjustly (by receiving less than your capital
sums).
[Qur'an,2.279]

It is a must to improve the relevance of resources to the living, the existence
of such quest and adventuring process is a blessing of ALLAH SWT, lack
of creating relevance to solve problems and issues is a worst situation for any
system of belief, for instance, to the challenge posed by the serious issue of poverty.

In religious deliberation, if faith is requisite for individual believers, then research
and contextual improvement in understanding the resources is vital for institutions
especially those bodies that follow and execute a set of guidelines. It may be a reason
of not getting to the solution of any problem or question if we miss to observe and
adhere to the rationale of related command(s) of belief.

The same applies to the serious commands about Riba in the Noble Quran, an
intellectual discourse is normally focused on reason, however, while understanding
and explaining the above cited two verses of Quran and as indicated in the prelude
section, this perspective is rather separated in two segments as under:
1. The Simple and Apparent Understanding
2. Looking Carefully Further than Simplicity

1.The Simple and Apparent Understanding (02.278 & 02.279)
Uncomplicated and straight oration; is it simple for us just today? Or it was equally
simple as well when the verses were first revealed? It is a matter of the relevance of
Qur’an in all ages for its practicability and applicable sense – here we may include
all those commands which are articulated for implementation by believers; however
it may not relate to those informative messages like unfolding the past or indicating
the future or some truths including scientific facts et cetera.

It will certainly be helpful to derive an answer to the question above if we could get a
bit clue as what was the understanding and reaction of the companion believers of
Prophet Mohammed (SAW) when they were enlightened? This is a difficult task for
me at least as I am neither proficient nor inclined to research and quote from the
chronicles, and also for the good reason of avoiding any subsequent debate on its
standing (I am not equipped well to enter in such dialogue, only few could be sure
enough to offer unarguable piece of history in this regard from many possible
versions – so to call such an insertion is like inviting confusion and distraction).

However, there is another way around, as we all know and indisputably agree on the
virtue, belief, and characters of companion believers of Prophet Mohammad (SAW),
we can get an answer using the imaginational power of our minds to visualize about
their behaviours? Just briefly, I will try doing that in my own control. Let me place
myself in two different points in time to visualize the perceptions that may help to
show the practicability of Quran within its ‘apparent understanding’ for all ages, this
way we could be surer than debating the history.

Only dreaming, (I wish) I were there in the majestic age of the Prophet Mohammad
(may ALLAH’s peace and blessing be upon him), and listened these commands for
the first time in my life, I can see in my mind's eye and would have reacted like:

"Yes, I believe in You and Your messenger (SAW), my Lord. I can understand that I
am being addressed as I used to charge Riba, I know what Riba is. Now it has been
ordered to me from my Lord that I shall surrender any and all Riba that is due on
others to pay me, ALLAH (SWT) has set a test for me, I will prove insha’ALLAH that
I am a true believer and will walk around the small town and will not hesitate to go
beyond to call on my debtors and will tell them - from this moment onward – just
return the principal that you owe me, I don’t ask you any Riba or if there is any extra
due on you, that is cancelled. I can also understand that charging Riba is now
outlawed."
.....continuing Insha'Allah

No comments:

Post a Comment